A Primer on the Annual Flakesgiving Event in Billings
Flakesgiving is an annual event The Breakfast Flakes created to help make a meaningful, positive impact in Billings for the holidays. If you have lived in Billings for many years, it’s likely you already know and love Flakesgiving. If you are new to our community, you need to be up to speed on this amazing event.
“Flakesgiving makes having a family holiday meal possible for a lot of families,” The Breakfast Flakes said in a joint statement. “The holiday season becomes hopeful and about giving thanks when you know you can put a nice meal on the table and enjoy it with your family. We want to take the stress away and give these families a real holiday.”
Flakesgiving is a two-day event that focuses on feeding more than 10,000 people. Mark and Paul put together this charity to benefit local families that are going through tough times. Here is a timeline of the event:
- Week of Nov. 2, Mark and Paul remind listeners about Flakesgiving and encourage them to donate money to feed families.
- The week of Nov. 16, Mark and Paul start taking requests for deliveries for meals.
- Friday, Nov. 20, Meal assembly begins at 10 a.m. sharp. Volunteers are needed for about two hours.
- Saturday, Nov. 21: Deliveries begin at 10:15 a.m. sharp. Volunteers are needed to drive.
- Saturday, Nov. 21: Meals can be picked up at noon sharp. Anyone is welcome to a meal, no questions asked, but it is first come – first served.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How do I get a meal? We won’t take any delivery addresses until the week of the event, which starts Nov. 16. If you know somebody that needs a meal delivered who can’t pick it up due to disabilities or seniors that cannot drive, call the studio at 406-248-5665 or the office 406-248-7827. They will be added to the list and volunteer drivers will deliver them.
Is Flakesgiving a real charity? Yes. However, unlike some charities, Flakesgiving has very low overhead. Money is used to buy food, pay the taxes required and an accountant to keep the book. Every penny goes to feed hungry families.
How many people benefit from Flakesgiving? We create, distribute and deliver 1,500 complete meals. Each meal feeds seven to 10 people. That means more than 10,000 people will eat because of Flakesgiving. It’s the biggest event of its kind in the state of Montana.
What does a Flakesgiving meal include?
- 10-15 lb. turkey
- 10 pounds of potatoes
- Gravy mix
- Two boxes of macaroni and cheese
- Gravy Mix
How can I help?
Donate money. The cost of this meal is $25. Mark and Paul have fine-tuned this event to get the best value for the families we help.
Volunteer: We know that we’ve got several groups of volunteers this year and many more helping, but we can never have too many folks helping out. Volunteers are a big part of Flakesgiving. Grab your class, your team or the people in your office and come help Mark and Paul feed 10,000 people. We always need drivers. Help us get this food to the people that cannot pick it up themselves.
Don’t be late: Mark and Paul start at 10 a.m. sharp. Get to MetraPark in time to be parked, walk over and get briefed so we can start at 10 a.m.
Three ways to donate: If you would like to donate money, mail a check to the address below, stop by the studio between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday or call our business line at 406-248-7827 or the studio line at 406-248-5665.
- Make Checks Payable to: Flakesgiving Fund
- Studio Address: 27 North 27th Street, 23rd Floor (top of the Crown Plaza Hotel).
- Mailing Address: Flakesgiving., P.O. Box 1276, Billings, Montana 59103