COVID Day 6: A Hot Shower Is Your Best Friend In Billings
As we awake for this Monday morning, I wanted to share with you my experiences since I was diagnosed with COVID last Tuesday. Long story short... this sucks.
Glass Shard Throat
Last Tuesday, I left work mid-way through the day feeling horrid. I went home and curled up under the blankets with the AC on and Fan... because I was COOKING. Then, 20 minutes later, I was freezing. This continued for an hour. Back and forth. Nonstop. You think you had COVID? Maybe. But THIS is COVID. Anyhow...
I woke Wednesday morning with a throat that felt like I swallowed a glass of glass shards. I've NEVER felt this before. However, I never had strep... or any other issues... so I thought it was time to visit the doctor.
When I arrived, I got hauled back to the doctor, and after multiple tests, they confirmed I had COVID.
Now, think about what you want. But either way, I have COVID. End of discussion.
The "home remedies"
You might have your own solutions to COVID, which is great and all, but I am one who chooses to trust the people of our healthcare institutions to handle my illness. They get paid the big bucks, so they MUST know the best solution... right?
What was I sent home with? Well, a prescription for "Benzonatate". Used for cough treatment. And I'll tell you, it doesn't work worth a damn. I said it. It doesn't work WORTH A DAMN. Worthless.
According to my doctor, well... PA at St. Vincent Healthcare (which, disclaimer, I love SVHC. I think I got a PA since they are short-handed... but it is what is it) here's what I was told to fix COVID with:
If you don't wanna squint at the poorly scanned image:
- Fever Or Pain: Acetaminophen (Tylenol) 1000MG as needed up to every 8 hours and/or ibuprofen 800 mg as needed up to every 8 hours.
- Congestion: Zyrtec, Claritin, or Allegra for Oral Antihistamines
- Congestion: Flonase or Nasacort, 1 puff per nostril twice daily for nasal decongestant spray
- Nasal or Chest Congestion: Mucinex or Sudafed
- Sore Throat: Cepacol or Salt Water Gargles
- Cough: (Prescribed) Benzonatate 100mg every 8 hours (absolutely USELESS)
- Shortness of breath or wheezing: Albuterol Rescue Inhaler, 2 puffs every 4 hours as needed (I am asthmatic, but I refuse to pay for such a thing... and never needed it)
What DOES work?
Know what DID work? I've got the help for you. If you have what I have, and want to skip the expensive Dr. visit, here's what I did:
- Dayquil & Nyquil Liquid Cold & Fluid Relief (I got the generic from Albertsons)
- Vicks VapoCOOL Sore Throat Spray
- Vicks VapoCOOL Severe Sore Throat Drops
- Cepacol Extra Strength Sore Throat & Cough Drops
- Halls Relief Menthol + Lyptus Cough Drops
- Zyrtec Liquid Gels
Combining ALL of those together, as the doctor DID recommend, made my throat clear up. I did buy Mucinex, however, it caused me to be unable to sleep from the flood from my nose. It was a nightmare. So, I'd avoid that. Instead, take daily steam showers. It worked WONDERS to clear that out for me.
You'll cough. You'll hack out the most disgusting things you've ever seen come from your lungs. But when you finish, you'll feel better than someone who hit the lottery.
Where Am I At Now?
Over a week into this COVID crap, I got pink eye on Friday night... which sucked. Popped my contacts out, and it has mostly cleared up... but I am unhappy about it for sure. But, it is going away.
My cough is mostly gone, unless something makes me laugh hard, then I sound like a 40-year smoker.
I still can't sleep more than 2 hours at a time without waking up, and my dreams have gone from normal to completely off the wall. Not great, but I can live with it.
I'll be back when I am cleared to be back, and when I do, I promise you... I'll be a bit more vigilant about it. This s*&^ sucks.
What are your thoughts?
Have you had COVID? Did you experience effects long after you were cleared? Let us know on App Chat or on Facebook.