After historic flood waters raged through portions of south-central Montana in June, the damage to hundreds of homes and businesses was catastrophic. The financial aid response has been fairly quick from state and federal agencies and the event was declared a disaster by President Biden, freeing up the release of federal money to those who lost homes and property, or have had their business impacted by the flooding.

Anthony "Tony" Mayne, Public Affairs Specialist with FEMA, and Louise Porter, Public Information Officer with the US Small Business Administration stopped by our studios today to talk about the various ways you can apply for assistance. You can listen to the interview below.

Historic and Devastating Flooding in Montana
YouTube/Beartooth Slingshot Rentals

No flood insurance? Call FEMA.

Many Montanans do not carry flood insurance on their homeowner policy because it rarely seems necessary. If you live in Carbon County, Park County, Stillwater County, and Yellowstone County (newly added to the list) and suffered damage to your home or property, call 1-800-621-3362 to register for FEMA assistance. You can also apply on their website HERE. It's important to apply now, even if you are still sorting everything out and end up not utilizing available funds. If you are more of an "in-person" person, FEMA has opened a number of Disaster Recovery Centers and Mobile Disaster Recovery Centers in the area.

Stillwater County (DRC)

Absarokee Elementary School Gymnasium. 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Saturday (CLOSED on Sundays)

 Park County (DRC)

Park High School 102 View Vista Dr., Livingston, MT 59047. 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Saturday (CLOSED on Sundays)

 Carbon County (DRC)

Roosevelt Jr. High School, 413 S Oakes Ave., Red Lodge, MT 59068. 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Saturday (CLOSED on Sundays)

 Park County (MDRC)

Gardiner High School, 510 W. Stone St., Gardiner, MT 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Saturday (CLOSED on Sundays)

 Carbon County (MDRC)

Fromberg Methodist Church, 14 Montana Ave. Fromberg, MT 59029. 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Saturday (CLOSED on Sundays)

Photo by FEMA/Getty Images
Photo by FEMA/Getty Images

Lost your job or income because of the floods?

Let's say you work at a hotel in Cooke City and you lost your job or your hours were slashed because tourism slowed to a trickle this summer. You could be eligible for up to 26 weeks of Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA), a state-managed, federally funded program. The deadline to apply is August 4. Submit a claim by calling (406) 444-3454.

Farmer in Wheat Field
Credit: Tony Lomas, GettyStock/ThinkStock

Farmers and ranchers are eligible too.

Farm and ranch owners can apply for federal assistance through the Montana Farm Service Agency’s Emergency Conservation program. Grants and loans are available to provide relief to repair damage to agricultural assets that have been damaged by natural disasters. The application period closes on September 2. You can contact your county’s local Farm Service Agency branch to apply or contact Kami Kraus with the USDA Farm Service Agency at (406) 351-8016.

Small business owners and homeowners can also apply for very low-cost loans from the SBA. Take a listen to the interview below for more information.

LOOK: The most expensive weather and climate disasters in recent decades

Stacker ranked the most expensive climate disasters by the billions since 1980 by the total cost of all damages, adjusted for inflation, based on 2021 data from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). The list starts with Hurricane Sally, which caused $7.3 billion in damages in 2020, and ends with a devastating 2005 hurricane that caused $170 billion in damage and killed at least 1,833 people. Keep reading to discover the 50 of the most expensive climate disasters in recent decades in the U.S.

More From 103.7 The Hawk