The Best Hard Rockin’ Christmas Songs
Over the years, many rock bands have tried their hand at recording Holiday songs. By and large, most of them have been awful (Does anyone remember Winger’s Christmas Album?) However, there are a few hard rockin’ Christmas anthems that are guaranteed to put any headbanger in the holiday spirit.
1. AC/DC “Mistress for Christmas”. AC/DC released this holiday classic on their 1990 album The Razor’s Edge. With Brian Johnson’s typically raunchy lyrics and killer riffs by the Young brothers, this song has been a yuletide staple on rock radio stations ever since.
2. Dave Grohl, Lemmy Kilmister, Billy Gibbons “Run, Rudolph, Run”. This all star collaboration puts a bluesy, hard rock spin on the old Christmas carol. One of the highlights of the 2011 compilation We Wish You a Metal Xmas and a Headbanging New Year, which also includes tracks from Dio, Alice Cooper, RATT and Anthrax.
3. Tran-Siberian Orchestra “Christmas Eve/Sarajevo”. Originally released by the band Savatage on their album Dead Winter Dead, several former members went on to form TSO in 1993. Since their formation, TSO has become one of the most popular holiday acts in the industry. This song was later re-recorded and released on TSO’s debut album Christmas Eve and Other Stories.
4. Corey Taylor “X-M@$”. Released in 2010 as a fundraiser for the Teenage Cancer Trust, the singer for Slipknot and Stone Sour claims he wrote this song for “people who hate Christmas”.
5. John Lennon “Happy Xmas (War is Over)”. John Lennon and Yoko Ono released this anthem in 1969 as a protest against the Vietnam war. To coincide with the song, Lennon rented billboards all over the country declaring that “War is Over”. It remains a holiday staple and one of the most enduring tracks of the “Peace and Love” movement in the late 60’s.